Upon A Burning Body, not a band I listen to on a regular basis……actually not one I listen to at all. Not that they are bad but I usually default to Whitechapel and Suicide Silence for my deathcore needs. As I listen to this track, I realize that there is nothing particularly great about it. Just another track that says “Fuck” real loud and has gang vocals. Yawn. Well, I’m not impressed. Maybe next time.
Heavy…I dig the tone on this track a lot.
Example one: Let’s listen to Mitch from Suicide Silence butcher their song “OCD“, a song that is rather simple to remember.
I know accidents happen and being in the moment and getting ahead of yourself happens from time to time. Whether it’s a PA problem and you lose track of where you are in the song or you’ve had one too many beers before you hit the stage, these things happen. However, completely fucking up and ruining the song is unacceptable. Especially when it’s your only fucking job. You’re not playing a bass guitar, you’re not playing technical death metal riffs while belting out a verse…you’re just screaming/singing into a mic and headbanging. It’s not hard.
Also, you may want to watch the stage. Derp.
Who is to blame? What is to blame? Adrenaline? Nerves? Drugs? Poor sound/lighting? Who knows….it just seems to happen to the vocalists who have no other job to do than just belt out lyrics into a mic. I’ve seen front men like Nergal from Behemoth and Dallas Toler-Wade from Nile not miss one fucking note while playing guitar and not miss one word from a song. How come it’s easier for these men to do two duties and do them flawlessly and other people cannot handle one job?
Here is a moment where the vocalist is just drunk and ruining it for everybody.
The cool thing is…well after this train wreck moment…..Danny Warsnop cleaned up his act and is sober. Hopefully doing better now than he was just then.
All n all, vocalists who have no other job other to headbang and scream, fucking do it right. Get your fucking life together and get your shit done. Perform, execute, kick ass and give the audience the show they deserve and the show they paid for. You fucks.
Here it is….my overall top 10 of the year.
10. Chimaira – The Age of Hell – Songs that will make you drive a little faster…each song is great and you will definitely headbang and sing along. The work done on this is some of their best work since The Impossibility of Reason and it’s the last album that Matt and Rob will be apart of.
8. Splattered Entrails – Nauseate – Death slam grind that does one thing and one thing well, be as brutal as possible. Mike O’Hara makes some of the best slam grind on the internet. Truly speaker destroying and gut wrenching stuff.
6. Suicide Silence – The Black Crown – The most groovin’ album Suicide Silence has ever released! Some great riffs and awesome guest appearances too! The band is tighter than ever and the energy captured by the band is intense.
5. Hate Eternal – Phoenix Amongst The Ashes – True death metal that delivers. Running on all cylinders, the machine that is Hate Eternal punishes those who attempt to consume it whole. This album is dangerously fast and the riffs are fucking intense.
4. Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising – It’s Amon Amarth…of course it’s going to kick ass! Back with more great riffs, solo’s and amazing screams from Johan Hegg! Surtur Rising is just another chapter of the mighty Amon Amarth in their quest to conquer the world! Seeing this entire album performed live also was another highlight of the year. Great on the speakers and just as amazing live.
3. Beyond Creation – The Aura – A surprise tech-death band that I’ve never heard of, The Aura blows me away every single time I listen to it. If you need a band to scratch that Necrophagist itch, Beyond Creation will scratch it and then some. Very satisfying album. Some of the best guitar/bass playing and drumming I’ve heard all year.
2. Woods of Ypres – Woods IV: The Green Album – Blackened Doom that caught me off guard. I listened to this album hundreds of times this past year. It has a lot to offer since it’s a long album and it covers many more genres from an angle. The album is one emotional ride and tells a great story. Woods IV has inspired me to not only implement some of this style in my own guitar playing, but to start this blog and tell people of the lesser known bands that are incredibly good. Excellent writing and I just can’t help but sing along.
1. Last Chance To Reason – Level 2 – “We eat videogames and shit music.” Fuck yes they do. Level 2 is a groovin electric progressive technical metal album with harmonizing vocals, guitars and tons of poly-rhythmic playing all over the place. I love this album. It’s the best of both worlds, amazing metal combined with a layer of video game influence. The song writing is mind blowing and album as a whole is more than satisfying. Level 2 is just simply amazing, it’s definitely the best album I’ve heard this year. What a treat. From beginning to end it’s just a masterpiece.
I’ve really never paid too much attention to music videos. I’ve always appreciated bootlegged videos because I love seeing the band in their natural habitat. Nowadays, I try to appreciate music videos a little more. Whether it’s a pro-shot live version or an artsy fartsy video that doesn’t even show the band at all; I’ve come to watch these videos with a different mind set. This year was a great year for videos, there were some interesting places for bands to play that wasn’t a typical empty warehouse or random field. Some videos didn’t even show the band at all but captured the feeling of the song perfectly. These 10 videos were my favorite of 2011 and I hope you enjoy them as well.
10. Woods of Ypres – I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery. This video is what got me into the band and what sparked my interest of many many other things. It’s a long song/video but it held my interest after all of these months. Interesting shots and with the combination of the band performing, it makes for one really good video. I find the ending shots to be both odd and cool at the same time, when it transfers to light and dark shots. I wonder why they decided to blur out the sides of the lens though, you can’t see the bassist and other guitarist at all really.
9. Chelsea Wolfe – Mer. The lighting and style of this video is fucking awesome. Chelsea’s voice is so haunting and beautiful at the same time. I really have no clue what’s going on but I like what I’m seeing. I honestly just love the shot when it’s focused on Chelsea singing in front of the two candles on the wall. There is something just mesmerizing about that part of the video.
8. The Devin Townsend Project – Juular. It’s Devin Townsend, how could this not be awesome? It’s so damn creative and the fact that Devin is dressed up like a crazy old man blowing on some tube while being shackled by some mistress makes it even weirder/better. Where are they going on this train? Whatever the case may be, it’s intense and soothing at the same time. Townsends vocals are epic man, EPIC.
7. Mastodon – Deathbound. Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood meets complete Muppet mayhem. So fun to watch and the song itself is really good.
6. Suicide Silence – You Only Live Once. A unique music video that places the band in a shooting range. In between the cartoon characters with guns and their targets. The effects are good (except for the arrow) and the video is fun to watch. All of those people at the range are creepy, like Tim Burton’s remake of The Chocolate Factory creepy. Oh man, quality video.
5. Revocation – No Funeral. It’s just Revocation performing in an empty theater. What more do you really need? The video kicks major ass considering there is not much to it. Just some great angles and shots of the band. Very good song and I love the close ups of David’s face while he belts out his vocals. I love watching this band perform, it’s like porn. Metal porn. Stimulates the eyes and ears. Very cheeky video indeed.
4. Valient Thorr – Sleeper Awakes. Good song, funny video! Sing along and enjoy yourself!
3. Last Chance To Reason – Upload Complete. It’s the awesome band performing the awesome song with video games and brilliant camera work. Fuck yes!
2. Motionless In White – Immaculate Misconception. Not really my type of music (I don’t like the clean vocals he does) but the imagery and point Chris is making I 100% agree with. Dee Snyder also makes an appearance and whips the shit out of him. You get to see the band perform, you get to see a crucifixion and there is neon jizz everywhere. Also, I got chills AND got a dose of adrenaline when Chris kicked the FUCK out of that guy in the chest. OH MAN I WANTED TO KICK SOMEONE IN THE C HEST AFTER I SAW THAT!
1. BEHEMOTH – LUCIFER. The images. The costume design. The acting. The effects and the song itself, masterful. Produced and directed by Dariusz Szermanowicz and Grupa 13, they bring forth one hell of a video. Lucifer also is another chapter in the return of Nergal, back from his Leukemia that he went through. Seeing Adam Darski sing his parts is absolutely chilling. This is my favorite song on the album and I’m so glad they made a quality video for it. HAIL BEHEMOTH!!!
OK well today was just going to be a Suicide Silence focus. Couple of songs, couple of riffs but I found another cool video (or 2) for some Carnifex riffs. Enjoy.
First up is tabs for Bludgeoned To Death by Suicide Silence. Cool song and sounds great. Tabs are here and video is below.
I know that is probably the worst “lesson” video ever but you get a feel for what they are doing. Here is the song.
The next song is Unanswered. Tabs here and video is there. This video is a little better than the previous lesson.
Thor from Carnifex takes you through a couple of riffs. Follow along! Tab is here, video is there. “The Diseased and the Poisoned”
Next song is the acoustic intro to Heartless. Couldn’t find a tab, watch the video closely.
Now I appreciate the fact that Mitch and company didn’t just start beating the shit out of people when they bombarded the stage…the riser and ruined the last song of the show. However, they should have had more than one person to control the situation. That could have been dangerous, for the band and for the fans. I dig Suicide Silence…however this is another example of their fans being dip shits. I guess it doesn’t matter which country you’re from. Also, crowd surfing is lame as hell. No one wants a fat fuck landing on their head while they are trying to watch the show.
Not only was this probably really annoying and uncomfortable for the band, it ruined the experience of the show when a bunch a goofy little fuckers jump on and try doing the Lucker stomp for the breakdown starter. I know Suicide Silence appreciate their fans (I mean…that’s their weed money right there) but this video pissed me off more than anything.
Holding you down by your throat
Just enough to keep your
fucking mouth shut
Can’t stand to hear you scream god
Because he’s not fucking here bitch
And how does it feel now?
Don’t worry you’re not
another rape victim
It’s just me destroying
your beauty [2x]
And how does it feel now? [2x]
That I’m ripping out
All of the fake pieces
in your face [2x]
And what will you do now
Once all of your beautiful skin
Is in my pockets? [2x]
What cosmetic will fix this mess [2x]
Fix this mess [2x]
That is now your face?
Was this all worth it?
For your fake fucking beauty [2x]
The price of beauty was more
than you thought [2x]
How does it feel now? [2x]
The price [2x]
Was more than you thought
Ever notice while navigating through forums, blogs and YouTube comments that most of the metal community are incredibly elitist? Haters, even. It’s so trendy to hate on deathcore (Some bands do deserve this and ask for it though, I will admit), hate on the “Nu-Metal” era (Korn, Slipknot) and even hate on each other because of someone’s taste in music. I mean these trolls even “like” facebook pages and talk shit to the band and to the real fans. I’ve seen this over and over again on Suicide Silence’s Facebook page. I don’t understand the point of this. It’s not even like the troll is trying to make a point, he is just trying to start shit. Which of course is what a true troll does. It’s seems like blog comments and facebook pages is where the trolls dwell.
Now for the elitists of the bunch. I get on the Metal Injection forums from time to time and there is at least one person ruining the discussion. Yes, he is most likely trolling, however I feel as if he has a point to prove. Like unless we like his opinion on a band we are all posers and we need to go back to Hot Topic. Why? You may think the new Obscura album is the best thing this year, however, I do not. I don’t shove it your face though. Do I?
YouTube video comments are the worst on the internet. It’s always something irrelevant to the video or to the current topic that the video provides. Watch a Behemoth video. I bet there is some reference to Justin Bieber somewhere. Also, some of the most racist pigs dwell on that part of the internet. Even on my own Cattle Decapitation video someone was talking about their fill in bassist, who happened to be black. I took it down immediately, that shit is ignorant and unnecessary.
Metalsucks.net has some great elitist trolls there as well. Not only are most of the comments horrible and off topic. An editor feasts off of this. Sergeant D posts some great things on there to feed the troll population. It’s great. Some people take him seriously as well and that in itself is hilarious.
Everyone is so tough on the internet too. Talking shit about others family members, who had no part of this what so ever, and claiming to rape, kill and destroy one another. It’s just debate, it’s just a discussion, it’s just an opinion, “bro”. So calm it the fuck down. Don’t take it so personally when I or another reviewer do not find your latest album the best thing in the world. Some sites, will bash the shit out of you. Some websites, will offer constructive criticism and that’s what I aim to do.
So all of you internet alpha males, just smoke some weed or beat off or do something to calm your mind before hopping on the internet. You make yourself, and the entire community for that matter, look like idiots.
Now with all of this shit said, metal heads are some of the more intelligent people out there as well. They understand what’s going on in the world, they accept reality, life and death, they tend to read more and view more movies and they are some of the most brilliant musicians alive right now. You cannot tell me that the new Devin Townsend Project, Decapitated and Evile albums aren’t genius in terms of musical ability and execution. All of these tempo changes and technical guitar playing would make a Miley Cyrus fans head explode.
Where do you tend to find the worst trolls and elitist people?
Also, iwrestledabearonce’s new album is the best album this year.
Lifting the weight of the world
So take this lung full of pure inspiration
Inhale this lung full to make me smile
And then we’ll talk up a real conversation
So take this lung full, become more interesting
Now in your head
The thoughts that you see are depicted so marvelously
So now you see that the weight has lifted
And all your thoughts start to move fluently
I want to know what it is that you see depicted so gloriously
Burn it down, Burn it down, Burn it down
Set yourself free, burn it down
So tell me what it is that you see
Please tell me, describe it’s beauty
And then tell me what it is that you see
Depicted so marvelously
In your own head, haunted still by me
Still depicted so violently, so burn them down
Inhale this lung full of pure inspiration
And I promise that all your burden and worry will disappear
In a plume of smoke, in a plume of smoke
Burn it down, set yourself free
Head on over to Guvera and look for a link on the right hand side. A video will pop up once clicked.
Notes: LOL @ 1:20 – The gayest tough guy or the toughest gay guy pumps a shotgun. He’s serious. No seriously though all of those people shooting are some of the most interesting characters you could have picked for a shooting range. Ranging from little school kid dorks to strippers. Old man Santa to a Priest. Uzi’s, shotguns, Gatling guns, oh my! It’s a fun video to watch. Guns, blood, rocking the fuck out…it’s a fun video. I loved the part when Mark gets blasted, he goes down to one knee and starts his solo out with one hand. That was epic. I also love the Hot Topic guy shooting a shotgun once then leaving, wuss.
Suicide Silence’s “The Black Crown” is out TODAY.
“Witness the Addiction” is on Suicide Silence’s newest release, “The Black Crown” and everyone is shitting on it. Calling it “Nu-Metal” and also calling it their worst song ever. I think it’s a brilliantly written personal song that just so happens to include the master of personally emotionally deep and dark lyrics about his past, Jonathan Davis. I think it’s completely elitist and quite hipster that websites and blogs are shitting on this song. Personally, it’s one of my favorite songs on the album. I love the slow dark groove this song has and the riff behind Davis’ part fits in perfectly.
What makes this song “nu-metal”? The lyrics which are talking about his shitty past and losing his faith? The fact their are no breakdowns on this entire track? Is it because the legendary Jonathan Davis is on the track who just so happens to be the front man of the world’s greatest nu-metal band? I do not get why everyone is hating on this song so much.
Coming back for more after the success from their last album, “No Time To Bleed”. Suicide Silence have released “The Black Crown”, and it will not let you down. This album is a killer, Mitch Lucker really kicks it up a notch with his ferocious vocals as well as calming it down every once in awhile with a lower, more of a singing voice (As heard in “Slaves to Substance”, “Human Violence”, “You Only Live Once”). Drumming and bass guitar are powerful and if you have a killer stereo you’ll fully get to experience what they have to offer. Guitars are as groovin’, slammin’, heavy as ever. Mark Heylmun adds some guitar solos to a couple of songs and it fits in perfectly, he really adds something a little more to the mix.
Starting with “Slaves To Substance”, this song from the get go is balls to the wall, following with riff with a pitch harmonic that Robb Flynn would be proud of. “O.C.D.” is a groovy heavy song with a big “death chug” verse. One of the riffs sounds like something from an old Korn record as well. Next up is the faster, thrashier song “Human Violence”. It’s a good song that is full of anger with some Suicide Silence thrash added to it. “You Only Live Once” has a fun riff over a chug rhythm section. This track is a very fun song to shout back to the speakers. I’m sure this song will be a given with their live set list on this year’s tour. “Fuck Everything” has a very simple, yet wonderful statement. Not only are the lyrics simple and straight to the point, the song writing is as well. Yet still catchy and will drive you to head bang regardless. “March to the Black Crown” seems like a misplaced introduction track, however I feel this separates the first half from the second like an intermission. Also, it just kicks ass to listen to.
“March” gets you prepared for what is to come and it goes straight into “Witness the Addiction”, which begins with an open Drop A string just ringing out. Then it all comes together so well and sounds so great. This track is one of the longest tracks written by Suicide Silence and has a very nice dark groove to it. Also, Jonathan Davis steps in for a chorus or two. It fits in well with how slow the tempo is on this song and the screaming of Mitch behind Davis‘ style of singing is a good collaboration. It’s very well done song, something out of the ordinary for SS. “Cross Eyed Catastrophe” sounds exactly like SS listened to Lamb of God for a couple of hours and wrote this song. It’s very LoG with a Suicide Silence style. Around the 2:30 mark there is some strange singing happening int he background, confused the shit out of me. Was that a chick? Who was that? “Smashed” is a killer fucking track with Suffocation’s “Frank Mullen”. The music is straight up death metal, I love the guitar riffs on this track.
“The Only Thing That Sets Us Apart” has a very different intro for a Suicide Silence song. Very eerie and calm with a few chugs behind it. The music itself is very good, simple at parts with a few catchy leads here and there. Last on the album is “Cancerous Skies” which starts out very strong. The song is pretty brutal with more tremolo picking than any of the previous songs. All in all, this album as a whole is Suicide Silence with some new tricks up their sleeves. It’s a very heavy and well written album.
The only negative thing I have to say about this album is there are hardly any low vocals that Mitch use to do. It’s mostly that higher pitched scream. Other than that, it’s way better than your usual generic deathcore album. With more riff oriented songs than ever before, more solo’s, precise and well executed drumming that is more than just blast beats, epic low end from Dan Kenny and the best vocals Mitch has ever put out on record. The Black Crown will not disappoint you at all.
5 out of 5
Best tracks: Slaves to Substance, O.C.D., Fuck Everything, Witness the Addiction, Cross Eyed Catastrophe, Smashed and Cancerous Skies
Map of Metal shows us the history of rock (metal, punk, death, grind, etc) and gives us examples and bands whom fit into said genre. It’s a very fun and interesting website that may expose you to something new. If you were ever curious about the origin of metal and the evolution of this particular music and all of it’s genre’s. This site is for you. The interactive map is fun to navigate as well with really well done art.
From Black Sabbath to Suicide Silence. From Judas Priest to Pantera. Read metal while listening to metal. That’s fucking metal.
Check it out at Map of Metal!
Fierce and brutal, The Black Dahlia Murder have returned with their latest album “Ritual“. I’ve never been apart of TBDM love train, I’ve seen them once live and heard a few tracks and they were rather forgettable. Everyone has been riding their nuts on their latest album and single release so I dove in, hoping to find something that would grab me and move me. Well Ritual has done just that. The vocals took getting use to but if I can handle the vocal style of Suicide Silence, I can give anything a try. The lows and growls are done very well, it’s the high’s that get a little irritating.
The band itself is incredible. Well written technical riffs, catchy hooks and precise playing make TBDM shine. The guitar solo’s are great and I wasn’t expecting this much talent from the string section. Guitar solo’s on “The Window”, “The Raven”, “Great Burning Nullifier” and “Blood in the Ink” showcase true talent. The drumming on this album fit in perfectly. Nothing particularly mind blowing but blending in with the rest of the band flawlessly.
This is definitely one of the year’s finest metal releases. Enjoy.
4 out of 5
Best Tracks: On Stirring Seas of Salted Blood, Conspiring With the Damned, Den of the Picquerist, The Raven